All candidates on the program:
- Will be 18 years old or older.
- Will have prior child care experience such as babysitting or looking after younger siblings and enjoy working with children. Some will have already worked in families as au-pairs, mother's helps or nannies.
- Will speak English to an acceptable standard. Many candidates will be British, Irish, Australian, American, Canadian, South African and New Zealand. Others will be Spanish, French, Italian, Czech, Slovakian, Slovenian, Croatian, Hungarian, Polish, Brazilian, Dutch. Families may express a preference for a particular mother tongue and we will do our best to satisfy particular requests.
- Will have earned a secondary school diploma or equivalent. They may have completed some university-level course work, have a university degree or have a child care diploma. In certain cases we have qualified teachers.
- Will be motivated to provide quality child care whilst experiencing the cultural benefits of program participation.
- Will submit a medical certificate and police check before arrival.
- Will have successfully passed extensive screening procedures carried out by our staff and interview with verification of references, id, criminal record check if available in host country and have provided at least two non-family character or employment references and a medical certificate.
- Will pay their own fare over.